Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What´s so funny?

The interviews go something like this:

I drew a little map of Brillo Nuevo on half a sheet of looseleaf paper. It tells me where all the artesans live, approximately.

Once I arrive in the approximate place of the artesan´s house, I start asking around:
Excuse me sir, good day. Could you tell me where Graciela lives?
Oh, in that house over there.
Which house over there?
Oh, in that one.
(The Bora don´t like to point.)

Graciela is not home.

Excuse me sir, good day. Do you know where Graciela is?
In Segundina´s house.
And where does Segundina live?
Oh, in that house over there.

There´s five women sitting in Segundina´s house. Their toes and fingers are tied up in chambira as they weave their handicrafts.

I talk in Spanish, and Graciela answers in Spanish. I know when I make a grammatical mistake: The kids make sure to tell me. Each woman has a toddler clinging to her forearm or playing with her hair. When I say something wrong, the toddlers erupt in giggles.

The women don´t laugh when Im talking. They laugh when I am listening or watching. They look over at me, start talking in Borra all at once, and just laugh.
I ask:
What´s so funny?
And that brings a second, bigger wave of laughs and chatter.

Once my brain is fried and emptied´of curiosities, the women start asking me questions. I show them photos of my friends and family in the States.
They start up again in Bora, but this time it´s more serious. After a few minutes they stop and say:

Natalya, only girls have long hair. Your boyfriend has got to cut his hair.

This time I laugh with them.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! That made me laugh too. I wonder if you told them he's forbidden! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. no mike don't cut your hair!

    n, i miss you.

    love, anti-haircut s

    ReplyDelete