Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The first step

Only now do I realize that I walked in on the middle of a project in Brillo Nuevo. Campbell had already visited the village several times. The artisans agreed to talk to me for hours about their personal lives because Campbell had already built relationships with them. They trusted us.

That´s not the case in Nueva Vida. Not yet.

The women here do not consider themselves to be artisans. Most of the women, and even some of the men and children, have weaved a hammock out of chambira before. But they are reluctant to tackle new projects, like belts and shopping bags.

I stop by each of the houses in the village and introduce myself. "I am Natalya from CACE, a small NGO in the US. You´ve probably already met the tall white guy with gray hair. He´s the president of CACE..."

After my speach, I ask them if they have any interest in making handicrafts to sell in the Amazon Forest Store. They stare back at me. Then they glance at each other, as if to ask, "Why is this girl still in our home?"

So I explain everything again, and then again with extra details. They nod. I ask if they have any questions.

No questions, but they thank me for stopping by and ask when I will come back. "And could you visit my sister´s house, too?"

I think I broke the ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment